He's nine. NINE. Oh my, I have a nine year old.
(Jack sang along to the "Happy Birthday" song.)
In honor of his big day, I thought I'd list nine things I love about my boy.
1. I love the way you sing and dance. You sing when people are watching and bust a move whenever you are moved by a beat. That musicality and confidence make my heart skip a beat.
2. I love that you love to read! When you were in my tummy I wrote you a letter about the person I hoped you'd become. One of my wishes for you was to be a reader. I love that you exercise your imagination often and travel to new worlds with every new book!
3. I love your eyes. I know what you are thinking and feeling just by looking at your eyes. You can't hide a thing with those puppy dog eyes and long lashes!
4. Your compassion. The mamas of the girls in your class are constantly reporting to me that their girlies are in love with you. Your good looks and funny jokes might reel them in, but I know that what hooks them is your gentle, caring nature. Being the only boy with three sisters has served you well, my love!
5. I love your curiosity. You beg to go to the library, do internet research, and love building things. One of my favorite parts about being your mom is watching you discover new things, understand new lessons, and ask more questions. You have the power to change the world little man! I'm so proud that you are ready to accept the challenge!
6. I love your boyish innocence. I know that adolescence is right around the corner. As your cheek bones become more defined, your jaw line becomes more chiseled, and your tummy less round, I am clinging to every moment of innocent joy you bring. Recently you wrote the tooth fairy a letter to check in because she had not had cause to visit lately. I'm so glad she wrote back. Watching you read her letter with wonder and enthusiasm was such a gift.
7. I love the kind of big brother you are. Julietta is one lucky little lady! You are willing to do anything she asks. When I announced that Jack's room was to become Jack and Julietta's room this summer, you were as giddy as your baby sister! She puts you through the paces and you rise to the challenge every time. I hope that your relationship will continue to grow and never lose its sweetness.
8. I love your competitive spirit. You are driven to be the best you can be. Your determination and passion are intense but not overwhelming. I pray that you will always be able to maintain that balance in all parts of your life.
9. I love your hot hands. I have written about this before, but I just love them. When you were a baby your chubby little fingers curled around one of mine every time I nursed you. Now your hands are tools to build rockets, turn pages in books, throw long football passes, stop goals in soccer, hit home runs in baseball, but they are still the same sweet hands that held mine from the first day I met you. And, I adore them. I tell you they are always warm because you have a warm heart. I'm so thankful that you are never too cool to hold your mama's hand.
Happy birthday dear boy. I love you.